Before the winter weather hits, you should make sure that you take preventive measures to keep your deck in good condition. During the year you should always be checking your deck for any damages or areas that need to be repaired. Here are a few tips to help you prepare your deck for the winter!
- Waterproofing: If you have a wood deck, it’s important that it be waterproofed and a large aspect of maintaining a wooden deck is doing the frequent sealing.
- Washing: A vinyl or composite deck won’t need any new coats on it but it will need to be washed down with a hose once a year.
- Sweeping: During the fall, you should still take the time to sweep off fallen leaves, acorns, twigs, and pine needles. This debris can cause discoloration and mold growth on your deck.
- Removing: Before the first snow falls, make sure that all planters, chairs, and tables occasionally are removed from your deck to avoid discoloring.
- Decorations: During the fall you should not place any pumpkins directly onto your deck’s surface, even though pumpkin is a major decoration for the season. The moisture from the pumpkin can help produce mold and lead to rotting wood.
Contact Three Sons at 781-899-6353 or fill out our contact form online for more information on our services!